Home » Lifestyle

Alternatives To Expensive Gym Memberships

5 January 2010 7 Comments

I would venture to say that gym memberships are easily one of the biggest wastes of money for most people.  If people were to calculate the cost per visit to the gym, it would be outrageous and they would likely cancel their membership.  I’ve recently come to the conclusion and cancelled my Y membership, saving approximately $75 per month.  Let’s look at some alternatives to this spending.

A Regular, Healthy Lifestyle

Americans typically live in extremes.  We’re either slobs who get zero exercise and eat like crap or we go on a health binge and kill ourselves in the gym.  If we could find something in the middle and then do it consistently, we’d be better off.  This might mean pushups and a few jogs a week.  Or maybe it means taking the stairs each morning rather than the elevator as you go 10 floors up to your floor in the office building.  Find the little ways to get your heart rate up during the week, then eat some actual nutrition in your diet.

Home Gym

You can easily get  some good home gym equipment off Craigslist these days.  Clear out some space in your garage and put some basic equipment in there.  Then, get rid of the gym membership.  You really don’t need equipment, however.  You can stick to pushups, situps, lunges, and a lil running in my opinion.

What do you pay for your gym membership?  How many times do you go each month?

• bob said:

p90x! I have heard great things about it and know many people who say its a very difficult and intense workout. I am considering dropping my gym membership and doing this routine at home. It will not only save me money in the long run, but also about 45 minutes a day since it takes anywhere from 15-20 min to get to my gym.

• 20smoney (author) said:

Yes it seems like p90x is the latest trend. I dont know enough about it yet.

For me, a daily workout of the following seems to be sufficient: 1 mile run (fast), 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 lunges.

• Lakita said:

Fortunately, I work on a military base and because of my reserve status I have free lifetime membership to the gyms on the base. I usually go after work on the way home. Its great as long as I always live near a military installation 🙂

• 20smoney (author) said:

I'm not telling people they shouldn't join a gym. I'm saying you shouldn't pay for a gym membership that you don't use. Most people don't use them. If you go every day, then obviously $75/month is a steal.

Pretty intense reaction! You must be a gym rat!

• 20smoney (author) said:

40 below? Yikes. I forgot not everyone lives in Florida.

From what you describe, it sounds like your membership is a great investment. Again, my observations are that most everyone i've known over the years never got their money's worth.

and yes, if people took more responsibility, health care would look alot diff… couldn't agree more.

• pandora bracelets said:

You have got developed anything completely new in any lifetime of in just minutes. It enhances your creativity, it is fulfilling you could possess a fashionable jewellery right at the finish belonging to the method.having an extensive statement within itself.

• QueenMar'Quesha said:

-iGo 2 A Gym EveryDay And Its Sky Hiqh !