Home » Investing, Quick Hits, Trading

My Best Investment/Trade Of 2010

13 January 2011 9 Comments

At the depth of the oil spill crisis, I decided to buy a bunch of shares of Transocean (RIG).  I got in on the shares in the low $50’s.  I didn’t time the trade perfectly, because the shares actually went on to go into the mid/low $40’s.  On situations like this, however, you don’t have to time the trade perfectly to do very well.  I bought the shares because I’ve always liked this company, and I saw that the focus of the public and the media was on BP, not on Transocean.  I also figured that the markets were overreacting, pummeling the stock, sending it down from around $90 to under $50.  This is a prime example of buying a quality company that is suffering from a short-term, temporary situation.  Now, the stock is around $77.  I’m up over 50% on the shares already.  The question now is whether to sell the shares and book the gain or hang on to them.  I’m probably going to hold the shares, since Transocean is essentially the #1 offshore driller in the world and the business should only get better as the world needs more oil.  I also see the price of oil going higher which will help this company even more.  This is an example of being patient with your cash and buying distressed assets.  The opposite of that is buying Apple (AAPL) at current levels.  Patience.  Patience.  Patience.

• Money Beagle said:

Congrats!

To protect your investment, you should put in a trailing stop so that if it goes down a certain percentage or dollar amount, you'll trigger a stop. Barring a big gap down, you'll keep your gains protected, and the stop will continue to adjust accordingly if the stock continues to increase in value.

Good investment. Here's to continued success.

• Kingpin said:

Hold it, that should have room to run at that price- You could get an at the money put to cover you for extreme volatility. Remember how those stop loss things did in the flash crash – blew right through them.

Wait at least until it is a long term capital gain for you.

• Bryan said:

What was your worst investment of 2010?

• pandora bracelets for men said:

Its the existing that will grow for the reason that with the phone. They will enjoy in addition to prize this desirable in addition to individualized spend back again for years forward asPandora jewelry Corporation includes a special name in addition to special merchandise.

• pandora bracelets for men said:

They started out their business company in 1982 in addition to experienced been only available in Us with The twelve weeks 2003 and from now on they have more as in comparison to 200 top degree of quality stores plus a assortment of 1800 types within jewellery.

• badminton racquet said:

Congrats on a good pick!

• hardy shoes said:

Thanks for ur sharing ,appriciate.

• Pandora Charm said:

Every modern women have a born fashionable beauty, the city bustling and rapid rhythm, hinder every female heartily sending out the full of confidence and wisdom of the charm. However clever changeful fashionable female beauty more than in this? In the mood to experience the world freehand brushwork, display a modern women jump to a handsome side, lows the distinct beautiful condition, dress to like butterflies, as in the sun XiHe enjoy an summer! Pandora Charm lets you more confidence

• louis vuitton said:

Thanks for sharing this great article! I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. It is extremely helpful for me. I hope you post again soon.
    Resources much like the one anyone reveal here are going to be very cooperative in my opinion! I will certainly post one of the links to this page on our blog. More than likely my guests will quickly realize that quite significant.