Challenging Consensus Opinions On Health, Retirement, Income, And More
I’m reading Timothy Ferriss’ latest book, The Four Hour Body. I don’t really have a special desire to read a book on health, nutrition or exercise, but I like Ferriss’ style and unique ideas on subjects. I read his first book Four Hour Work Week and I liked it – not because I liked everything in it, but because I liked the way he challenged consensus views on a number of subjects like finances, retirement, careers, entrepreneurship, etc. While lots of it might be irrelevant, it is interesting because it aims to challenge the ways we view things. His new book does the same thing on the subject of health, nutrition, exercise, and other “body” topics.
Business books are notorious for being all the same. How many different books on investing are there that basically say the same thing? How many books on business say the same thing? How many books on finance, etc.
Interestingly, one of the main points that Ferriss points out in his books is that most people fail at the consensus or popular approach to… almost anything.
In Four Hour Work Week, Ferriss pointed out that most people fail at retirement even though 99% of people that are planning for retirement do it all the same by putting away a little money each month. For most of these people, the numbers won’t work out for them.
In Four Hour Body, Ferriss points out that most people fail at getting in shape, losing weight or whatever. He challenges things like the calories in vs. calories out argument. It’s very interesting even if you don’t really care about the topic (which I’m not that into either).
Challenging the consensus view on things is definitely one of the things I try to do frequently here on this blog. When it comes to investing, I am not someone who’s going to tell you to passively invest your money in the market. I have a healthy skepticism towards this strategy to where the primary beneficiaries are those on Wall St.
On the economy, I’m even more skeptical. I listen to shows like CNBC and I almost throw up at the horrible questions the hosts ask guests. For example, in a recent interview with a tech analyst on Steve Jobs taking medical leave, the best question they could come up with is if this is a great buying opportunity for Apple stock even though it is still well over $300 per share. Good grief.
I don’t buy the economic recovery, because I work for a small business and I deal with small businesses every day. Business is tough these days. There’s a shrinking pie of business and companies are getting more cut-throat to get by on a daily basis.
When it comes to politics, 90% of the voting public is clueless about anything of substance regarding politics or the government. 90% of that remaining 10% knows only what their favorite news station tells them (either MSNBC or Fox News). I reject all of that. I say the left vs right thing is a huge distraction and both parties fail miserably at preserving our freedoms and doing what government was SUPPOSED to do.
I think it is healthy to be skeptical of things. However, that is only half the process. Ferriss does a great job at being skeptical but not leaving it there. He takes his skepticism and then takes action.
He studies, he works, he does experiments, he tries out new ideas and new theories. This is what his latest book is about. Real case studies and experiments that result in findings that either support or refute his skeptical ideas on consensus opinions.
I will work hard here on this website to continue working for new ideas and new theories related to your money. My experiment over the years has mainly been around the idea of generating alternative income streams. How many people do you know that generate an income from more than one source? Probably none. There’s the consensus.
I’ve demonstrated that an average Joe can build an online income stream of at least a thousand bucks a month or more. I will continue to document this process and new ones that I work on here in the coming weeks, months and maybe even years.
Thanks for tuning in.