Home » Consumer, Quick Hits

Groupon and Living Social Both Do Super Bowl Ads

7 February 2011 6 Comments

Sign of the times.  The group coupon thing is a booming business as shown by the two main players in the field doing Super Bowl ads tonight.  I found it rather interesting.  Of course Google trying to buy Groupon for something like 6 billion a little while back was all the confirmation we needed that this new business is here to stay.  Anything to help us consume more and save the world economy!

• TaJ said:

I think it was more of a sign of the times in a different way; businesses increasing worry about improving their customer base leading to huge discounting. People want to try and save money (granted, couponing doesn't save you money if you're buying things you didn't need in the first place, but the impulse isn't wrong).

I think Groupon is a sign of the times in another way, however. I think we're going to look back at that $6 billion offer in a few years in the same way that we look back at the ridiculous excesses of the (first) dot-com boom. Ridiculous for Google making such a huge offer on something they could build in-house, and even more ridiculous for Groupon thinking that the offer was too low!

I mean, $6 billion? REALLY?

• Ragnar said:

Anything that has the power to push product, legally, will be a hot commodity. More importantly, there may not be a lot of room for copycats in this market if Groupon is developed aggressively enough. I imagine that the average American is only capable of discerning two alternatives for anything. Groupon and LivingSocial are thus super hot for name recognition. Add a third and would anyone remember it? "It's another Groupon clone." No, people will go to Groupon.

I wonder how much of that $6 billion was just for the name, domain and recognition that is Groupon, and how much was for all the tangibles?

• Kohls said:

Keep hearing Groupon but never use it before.

• Event planning jobs said:

I was one of the lucky ones, because my friend suggested me to visit this website, it is true, I get valuable information from here.thanks

• Floor Mirror said:

I trust Groupon is fast growing company and will make billion dollars in few years

• Sakib hassan said:

Andrew mason is a genuine guy who is the major reason to capitalize and dominate all the daily deal markets. Suppose if Google had really acquired Groupon, it would be a compliment for consumers because the advertisement would get even more powerful rather than a mere advertising technique like e-mail advertisement. So people can easily find out deals than now they do. But the CEO of the giant deal site did not allowed it to happen.

Anyway, a deal is a deal.