Home » Gold, Headline, Investing

What To Do When You Make A Big Bet On A Winning Position

4 August 2011 36 Comments

As gold approaches $1700, it’s safe to say that I’ve made a quality multi-year bet on the price of gold. I first got into gold in the $700 range, added to my position greatly during the 2008 crash and have essentially held on until now. Interestingly, the hard work is essentially just beginning.

Knowing when to exit a big winning position is tougher than buying a position in many cases. Gold is definitely an example of this.

This is much different than dividend stocks that I intend to hold for years and year and collect dividends and I don’t pay too much attention to the share price on a week to week basis.

Gold doesn’t pay dividends obviously so the only way you can cash in is by buying and then selling it for higher. Therefore, the exit is key.

If you read my blog, you may have mistaken me for a perma-bull gold bug. I’m not a guy that is going to tell you to always buy gold regardless of circumstances. Now I can see the value of a small permanent position of gold that is sort of akin to insurance, but that’s not what I’ve been talking about and it’s not what I’m talking about now.

I have a large overweight position in gold. It’s been 30-40% of my portfolio now for a couple years and continues to be. Again, the exit is key. There will be a time to sell my gold.

As the price of gold increases, and the stocks to gold ratio crashes (which I’ve been documenting), I start to become very alert to the price of gold and get ready to exit. Does this mean I’m going to sell soon? No. I might not even sell for a few years from now depending on a number of factors, but the reality is that it’s time to start watching a little more carefully.

At some point when stocks are much cheaper priced in gold, I’ll sell the gold and pile that cash into quality stocks. I’m on Defcon 2 right now. More later…

• Tim said:

You've done really well. Are you invested in GLD or physical gold?

• MarcusMan said:

I'm curious as well… I don't plan on investing in gold at these prices but I'm curious how to even invest in gold? I suspect you're not buying gold a jeweler… lol . Is there an specific fund you buy that equates to real gold? Thanks

• Jackie said:

Knowing when to get out is definitely the tricky part. I have a tiny bit of gold that I bought around the same time you did. If it has been for investment purposes I’d probably have cashed out at around $1200, or $1400 for sure. But that’s because gold feels like a bet to me. I think it will probably continueto go up for another 6-12 months and then burst.

My favorite gold vehicle on the market is GTU… There are too many rumors about GLD not actually owning the gold it says it owns so I stick w/ GTU.

Physical gold is also a good option – check a local coin shop – but its not as liquid

• Value Investor said:

If you not sure when to invest and where then you need to look this up http://www.investmentmaxim.com. A place where investors can use strategies used by
    legendary investors to make smart investment decisions.

• Ron Stevens said:

For anyone that have doubts whether to invest in gold or not go to http://www.goldprice.net/ they can help you with all the question you have and give you the best advice for no cost just like i did a few years a go and now i see things more clear than before.

• youtube converter said:

Wager typically is situated the game game. The wager often is situated football game. The wager will be greater if the teams who play are large group.

• handyortung said:

I think we have to keep stay cool in every situation. So other people can't make any prediction on us.
    handyortung

• Instant Garages said:

Guess generally is situated the game recreation. The actual bet usually is situated football. The actual bet will probably be increased if the clubs which perform are large staff.Instant Garages

• RitchieRich said:

Sometimes, people do bet in a game. They will do bet for the winner. It mostly happens in the football match.
    locksmith melbourne

• Korcula Chorwacja said:

Some of people can't set their expression on the match. And that make enemies knowing their winning position.
    Korcula Chorwacja

• MonikBeroa said:

If I won a bet, I will try to use it to invest. I think this is the right thing to do because I can multiply my money if I make an investment, do not let the money be used for fun or I leave it alone. Desktop.com – Buy Desktops, Laptop Computers, Netbooks, Tablets, Computer Parts, PC Components and more!

• Girl games online said:

Brave is very needed to bet something. Fear has no position here.
    Girl games online

• Moriarty said:

Objectives define the company's activities, which the owner wishes to achieve.
    etreppenlift.com

• glock parts said:

Mainly, people wager throughout sport recreation. Right today, they will even are capable of doing it on the internet. After that, some of the on the web wager throughout legal.

• FionaFarah said:

Legal betting is situated race. Throughout Great britain, it is part of the traditions. The actual Queen also frequently appointments Royal Ascot as one of the horse race with Great britain.how to be more outgoing

• smsf accountant said:

One of many legal location for gambling in in racecourse. Next, having a equine with regard to competition can be quite a excellent enterprise. Supplying enjoyment for people is famous gives significantly money.

• golf clothing uk said:

Throughout racetrack associated with equine, betting is a legal. However, the actual improves should be people who have pass the actual specific age. It is because the actual betting is very addictive.

• stephenriciki said:

Mostly, people guess in activity online video sport. Now, they will actually can perform it on the web. Next, some of the online guess in legal.Anchorage Web Design

• G shock pas cher said:

If someone is in a position in a victory, then you can choose to be such a person. You can ask a variety of things to make him a winner. You can ask for the secrets.

• GLOBALINX said:

There are many people who make a bet that even make the bankrupt person. This is not something that should be emulated by all. You should avoid betting.GLOBALINX

• eBook-Reader said:

This is really an great post , the picture you shown in this post are really very amazing the statues are really great , I love this post . Thanks for sharing this great post with us.

• iPhone 5 said:

This is really an great post , the picture you shown in this post are really very amazing the statues are really great , I love this post .iPhone 5

• carlhendry said:

We were able to use the brain as a way to guess something. However, this is not a thing to be done on all aspects of your life. You must use your logic. Albuquerque contractors

• carlhendry said:

We were able to use the brain as a way to guess something. However, this is not a thing to be done on all aspects of your life. You must use your logic.Albuquerque contractors

• wenymood said:

Being a winner does have to provide many benefits for many people to spend a lot of ability and potential he has to make it better again in the future.soy candles

• ljubavni.net said:

This article is really awesome, i’m very very suprised with informations.
    I must thank you a lot for this!

• drainage channel said:

It's good you did not spend much money or little money to do a bet because it's not a nice thing to be done by many people who want being rich and success.

• Dallas Cold Laser said:

Won a position it could be one way and a great challenge, because there are many people who could use any means to win a match which he attended.Dallas Cold Laser

• sammyliem said:

All those who could use the money to bet it is someone who can drain a lot of hearts of people who see it. Everybody could see him shaking his courage.Kids ghillie suits

• molac said:

Just try to add more bet, so you can win more. But don't break the opportunities for winning.
    valuations wa

• leonardokolina said:

Mēs visi esam pārāk tuvu mūsu bizness. Svaigas acu pāri bieži var identificēt radošus un novatoriskus veidus, kā tirgus un veicināt uzņēmējdarbību.
    accountants in sydney

• Anchorage Web Design said:

Being a winner is very nice to feel. But we need to be humble and shouldn't forget the way we start.
    Anchorage Web Design

• free advertising said:

Betting is about your luck. People are getting lossy if they have lost much money. Instead of just finding what your mistake, it's better to practice.

• iphone priser said:

There are many people who lost the bet so that he does have a lot of debt and it is useful to avoid betting for money usually runs out with something like that is not necessary.