Home » Politics

Is Obama a One Term President if Unemployment Does Not Decrease?

23 September 2011 13 Comments

With more than one year separating us from the 2012 Presidential election it’s admittedly a little lousy how much media attention is being paid toward the campaigns of potential candidates and the President’s chances of reelection. So much can change between now and then that projections are impossible and predictions are improbable. But if one thing universally weighs on the minds of the President, his opponents, and the American people, it’s projections and predictions about unemployment. The following fact is a fundamental one about American politics: the President cannot be re-elected when the country has a lousy unemployment rate.

That’s been the way it’s been historically since the Great Depression, anyway. Obama is obviously aware of this, and from now until November of 2012 he will be fighting fiercely to see his jobs bill passed by Congress. It’s so important that the jobs bill in essence has been written to tie itself in with every middle-class problem from lousy public schools to mom and pop dependence on small business credit cards, in order to make it make sense on main street. It’s just one of several economic plans the President is unveiling and will continue to unveil as 2012 gets underway.

But analysts, experts, pundits, and political junkies all agree on one thing in addition to the fact that Obama needs to see unemployment lower in order to win reelection: his jobs bill has no chance of passing the Republican-led House of Representatives. If Obama and his people are any good at what they do, they know as well that the plan’s passing in this political climate is unlikely. So why will he be essentially wasting his time selling economic cures that won’t see the light of day?

Because he’ll need to explain to the American people come this time next year why the unemployment rate continues to hover in the same place it has for years now. The calculation his political team is counting on is that he’ll be able to blame the solution-lacking and solution-preventing Republicans in Congress for the economy continuing to suffer. Mixed with the likelihood that in the months leading up to the election the President will call in just enough favors to lower the unemployment rate to a cool 8.x%, his team hopes they can convince the American people that he’s trying. But little can be done in a political system where power is divided three ways and one branch is unwilling to agree to do anything to fix the economy.

Projections and predictions of 2012 made in 2011 are unlikely to be true. But one thing is true: no American president in office during a period of high unemployment has ever seen a second term. Times are different, but are the politics? One year separates us from knowing the truth. Plenty can happen in the interim.

• Money Beagle said:

Obama has not delivered and I wouldn't vote to re-elect him. Unfortuntately, I don't think any of the Republicans are able/willing to do anything to correct the problem, either. I see myself voting for a third-party candidate. I think it's time for Americans to send a message that partisan politics needs to stop. I'm sick of it.

• Jerry Gallagher said:

The only things he's done,we can't wait to undo-finally, worse than jimmie carter.That is saying something.How can he shave and not think',You little commie,the game is up-the American 'folks' like me but the American 'people' (you know,the taxpayers) can't stand the sight of me.Poor me! Just another BIG mistake by the cia and new world order.The 'folks' that loaded that black teleprompter should be tried for the crime of treason. This was supposed to be the most open and honest administration in history-sorry 'folks',but the 'great lecturer' is not even a first rate liar.The only things the obammys had figured out in advance were the W.H. entertainment and the W.H. vacation tour. The last time so many blacks were moved at one time ,they were on ships headed WEST.God save the lobsters!

• Steve Swiech said:

Normally I do not learn article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do so! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, very great article.

• Evelin Durphey said:

You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I to find this topic to be really one thing that I believe I would never understand. It sort of feels too complicated and extremely huge for me. I’m taking a look forward for your subsequent publish, I will attempt to get the dangle of it!

• Trent Tehney said:

Hi there, I found your website by the use of Google while searching for a related matter, your website got here up, it seems good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

• umairmalik said:

Thanks for providing such useful information. I truly value your professional approach. I would really like to thank you for the efforts you made in writing this particular post…. latest news today

• Financial Advising said:

It doesn't look like he will be. I don't understand why presidents are only given 4 years. The first year is spent getting acclimated, and the last year is spent on getting re-elected. In actuality, a president is only making decisions for about 2 years out of their term.

• Joshua Abrams said:

I'm a little unsure if he deserves to be re-elected. During the years where he lead the country, recessions happened and the problem in unemployment increased which caused the country so much problem. In fact the employees of millionaire mind supported him during the previous years but when we saw the results of his actions, we are now rethinking.

• blogc2011 said:

You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I to find this topic to be really one thing that I believe I would never understand. It sort of feels too complicated and extremely huge for me. I'm taking a look forward for your subsequent publish, I will attempt to get the dangle of it!
    angry birds download for pc

• blogc2011 said:

It doesn't look like he will be. I don't understand why presidents are only given 4 years. The first year is spent getting acclimated, and the last year is spent on getting re-elected. In actuality, a president is only making decisions for about 2 years out of their term more

• blogc2011 said:

This site appears to get a great deal of visitors. How do you promote it? It offers a nice unique twist on things. I guess having something useful or substantial to talk about is the most important thing. counter strike 1.6 download for pc

• blogc2011 said:

If Obama and his people are any good at what they do, they know as well that the plan’s passing in this political climate is unlikely. read more

• blogc2011 said:

The calculation his political team is counting on is that he’ll be able to blame the solution-lacking and solution-preventing Republicans in Congress for the economy continuing to suffer. Mixed with the likelihood that in the months leading up to the election the President will call in just enough favors to lower the unemployment rate to a cool 8.x%, his team hopes they can convince the American people that he’s trying. anunturi imobiliare bucuresti